Each military service branch and component has their own criteria for Tuition Assistance eligibility, military service obligation, application process and restrictions. It is recommended you speak with your chain of command and a University of Alabama representative for further guidance to request your TA benefits.
Prior to enrolling and using tuition assistance at The University of Alabama, please speak with your Educational Service Officer (ESO) or counselor within your military service.
For more information, review your military service website for details on your eligibility and the process for requesting tuition assistance.
Military Educational Benefit Information
To Apply for Tuition Assistance
- Speak with your education officer, career counselor, or benefits incentive specialists to ensure you are eligible for Tuition Assistance.
- Gain approval from your commander to attend classes at The University of Alabama prior to enrollment.
- See your base Education Services Officer (ESO) prior to enrolling for classes at The University of Alabama.
- Follow specific instructions for your military service branch regarding how to request Tuition Assistance for your course(s). Take note of the TA application instructions/deadlines specific to your branch and The University of Alabama academic calendar to ensure your request is processed in a timely manner.
- GoArmyEd service members must submit request in the portal. All other branches of service must submit your approved TA request to the Bama By Distance Military Services Office for processing (email to email@example.com PDF format).
- The Student Account Services Office will process your approved TA request, and post the TA credit to your student account. Please ensure you review your MyBama student account to ensure your TA has posted online.
To Apply for TA
General Information about Military Tuition Assistance
- TA is exclusive to currently serving members of the Armed Forces. If your ETS date falls during the academic semester you will not get TA for that semester.
- TA is requested on a course-by-course basis, and each course must be part of an approved degree program.
- TA cannot be used for a lateral degree (you cannot use TA to earn a 2nd bachelor’s degree)
- TA can be reimbursed for up to 100% of the course cost, not to exceed $250 per credit hour; up to $4500 per fiscal year applies for Air Force, Navy, and Marines. Army cannot exceed $250 per credit hour; up to $4000 per fiscal year and Coast Guard cannot exceed $250 per credit hour; up to $2250 per fiscal year. (Fiscal year resets on October 1)
- TA may NOT cover all course fees.
- TA can be used in conjunction with the GI Bill®, but with some restrictions; contact The University of Alabama Office of Veterans and Military Affairs (VMA) for guidance at 205-348-0983 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- TA requests should be completed PRIOR to the start of the semester. Each military service branch has its own deadline.
- You must clear all prior balances and holds with the University in order to confirm your schedule each term.
- TA is a tuition reimbursement program; you will not receive an up-front payment. Payments are made directly to the University and may be applied later in the semester. You must pay all tuition due on your account when viewable. If you cannot pay the amount due by the confirmation date, the University offers the option to pay in full or to pay via participation in a payment plan. There is a $30.00 deferment fee. Payments not made by the provided deadline will result in schedule cancellation. Accounts that do not have TA applied must still be confirmed.
Military/Veteran Contact Information
TA – The Point of Contact (POC) for all TA students in Mr. James Shamlee. The Alternate POC is Dr. Nichelle McMullen. James and Nichelle can be reached at 205-348-6220 or 205-348-7646 or by email at email@example.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org. James and Nichelle can direct any student needing assistance to the right resource on campus.
TA students may also contact the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs for assistance with any resource on campus and in the community. VMA Staff members can be contacted by phone at 205-348-0983 or by email at email@example.com
TA – The Alternate POC for TA students is Mr. Jason Sellars. Jason can be reached at 205-348-0983 in the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs and by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting the office email at email@example.com. Jason can assist students with TA and TOP UP GI Bill benefits as well as all other GI Bill benefits.
Institutional Services/Academic counseling/ Other Student Support Services – Please contact the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs at 205-348-0983 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VA Education Benefits: The POC for VA Education Benefits is Mr. Jason Sellars. Jason can be reached at 205-348-0983 in the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs and by email at email@example.com or by contacting the office email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Search Support – The POC is Ms. Melinda King. Melinda can be reached at 205-348-4904 in the Career Center at https://career.sa.ua.edu/ and by email at email@example.com.
Title IV Funding is handled in the Financial Aid Office. The POC for Financial Aid is Mrs. Helen Allen. Helen can be reached at 205-348-7949 and by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Financial Aid website is https://financialaid.ua.edu/
The POC for the The Office of Disability Services is the Director, Ms. Vanessa Goepel and she can be reached at can be contacted at 205-348-0285 and by email at email@example.com.
Student Account Services
Primary POC: Kim Lake
Phone: (205) 348-5350