All student Veterans, Active Duty, and Dependents attending The University of Alabama (UA) can access the Department of Veterans Affairs through a full time VA Counselor Coordinator.
Vet Success on Campus is a program through the Veterans Benefits Administration that places an experienced Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor directly on campus to provide assistance & support to veteran students and their eligible family members. This counselor will serve as a “one-stop liaison” for Veterans on campus. The Capstone is only one of twenty-two campuses in the nation to have an on-campus counselor from the VA.
Vet Success on Campus Counselor can assist you with:
- Information on VA benefits such as life insurance, Home Loan Guarantee, Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment, Post 9I 11 GI Bill benefits, and other education benefits (Chapters 30, 32 & 35)
- Guidance and support while using your VA educational benefits
- Vocational exploration and assistance in selecting a suitable career
- Electing your healthcare benefits with Veterans Healthcare
- Information and referrals to VA Medical Centers and local Vet Center
- Information on submitting a claim for disability compensation
- Employment information and assistance
- Locating community and other resources
Dedicated phone line for GI Bill beneficiaries who are a surviving spouse or child of an active duty service member who died in the line of duty and need assistance with their education benefits
- A child or surviving spouse can contact The Department of Veterans Affairs’ Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551 and select Option 5. A highly trained agent with specialized training in survivor benefits sill be ready to assist the caller with their education benefits or survivor related resources. Agents will be available Monday – Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST.
Contact the VetSuccess Counselor
3000 Houser Hall
(334)213-1200 ext. 4109