The following are frequently asked questions at The University of Alabama.

If your question is not listed here please contact us.

The University of Alabama on campus undergraduate programs does not waive any application or orientation fees nor is it covered by any chapter of the GI Bill® .The University of Alabama Graduate School does waive application fees for veterans
As a student you are required to pay for University Housing. Your Basic Housing Allowance will be direct deposited monthly. For more information see GI Bill®.
You need go to and click “Apply for benefits” and then click VONAPP. There you will fill out a 22-1995, which will change over your benefits. Please print a copy of this application because you will turn in this information to our office. Next, you should sign-up for Orientation. We will be there with the additional paperwork to start your benefits. If you are not planning on attending Orientation please let us know
The Award Letter is an official written notice from the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) sent to the student. The Award Letter will provide the monthly rate of payment, the inclusive dates of payment , and remaining entitlement at the end of each award period. This information is needed to fill out an Advising Worksheet each semester.
Students under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® provided the Study Abroad Program applies to the student’s degree program, including electives, VA will pay all customary tuition and fees that an on- campus, stateside student would pay, (e.g., health fee, lab fees, etc.). VA will not pay fees directly related to Study Abroad such as a transportation fee generally air fare, room, board, etc. Please contact the Study Abroad Office in order to find what programs will allow you to use your benefits.

You can be certified for Post 9/11 while receiving ROTC Scholarship but The University of Alabama cannot submit tuition and fees for the same semester that you have the ROTC Scholarship.

In this case:

  • MHA would pay out.
  • The Book Stipend would pay out.
  • No Tuition & Fees can be submitted.
  • ROTC pays the tuition through the ROTC Tuition Scholarship.
Students who are receiving GI Bill® benefits, fall under the choice act for in-state residency and have been offered a scholarship need to talk with the scholarship office to see how becoming an in-state resident affects their scholarship package. If you currently have a tuition based scholarship offer please contact to find out how it will affect your scholarship package.
For more information on when and how to file a complaint, visit the VA GI Bill® Feedback Tool website.