The Montgomery GI Selected Reserve (MGIB) or Chapter 1606 program provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components.
Current payment rates are paid directly to the student.
Steps to Use Chapter 1606:
- Go to the Vets.gov
- Click “Education Benefits” (Blue Box on Home Page)
- Click “Application Process”
- Click Green Box “Apply for Benefits”
- Fill out a 22-1990
- A Certificate of Eligibility will be sent to you in the mail
- At Orientation you will fill out a Student Information Form
- At Orientation you will fill out an Advising Worksheet and it will be signed by your academic advisor during Orientation
- Turn in all three documents to the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs (3000 Houser Hall) or via the VMA Student Document Upload link
- Guidelines on Advising Worksheets that you will turn in every semester
- At the end of each month please call 1-877-823-2378 or go online at W.A.V.E to verify your enrollment. You must verify your enrollment in order to receive 1606 payments