How to Receive Your Benefits Each Semester

All current students (on campus and online) must submit an Advising Worksheet for every semester after the student registers for class. A deadline will be emailed posted at every Fall and Spring semester to turn an Advising Worksheet to the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs.

The Office of Veteran and Military Affairs (VMA) will only accept the VMA Advising Worksheets, not worksheets provided by college academic advisors.

Incomplete Advising Worksheets will not be accepted.

Graduate Students and Distance Learning Students  Advising Worksheet does not require an Advisor’s signature.

Late submission of an Advising Worksheet will cause a delay in benefits and the student will be responsible for their student account.

Advising Worksheets Guidelines:

  • All Veteran and Military Affairs holds will be released by the first day of registration.
  • Please complete a form for each individual term.  For example,  SUM I, SUM II and FULL SUM are each separate terms.
  • Please submit an Advising Worksheet after you have registered for your classes to ensure accuracy for your GI Bill® certification. The Office of Veteran and Military Affairs can only certify classes in which students are currently registered.
  • A Veteran and Military Affairs hold will be placed on student’s account to prevent from adding and dropping classes, to ensure correct payment by the Veterans Administration to The University of Alabama.
  • If you add a class not listed on your Advising Worksheet you must fill out an Add/Drop Form in order to lift your Veteran and Military Affairs hold.
  • Request to release VMA schedule holds must be received in our office before 4:30pm CST on the drop add deadlines.  Request received after that time will be processed the next business day which could have negative results on your benefits for the term.
  • Forms turned in by the deadline will have priority.  Forms turned in after the deadline will be processed only after all priority students have been processed.
  • Classes dropped after the add/drop date will receive a “W” and are subject to debts from the VA.

VA Payments

The VA only pays for tuition and course fees. Please keep in mind all other expenses charged by UA are the responsibility of the student this can include:

  • Housing
  • Dinning Dollars
  • Meal Plans
  • Parking Pass

Please keep in mind that the VA pays for number of calender days in school for your Basic Housing Allowance. So, housing payments to The University of Alabama must be paid up front. In addition, payments in August, December, January, and May will not be for a full payments based on The University of Alabama academic calender. For payment rates please please visit the VA website. .

The Office of Veteran and Military Affairs does not have access to payment dates from the Veterans Administration for monthly housing allowances or book allowances. Please call the VA Educational Hotline for any payment dates at 1-888-442-4551.

Academic Requirements:

In order to remain in good standing and receive GI Bill® benefits, students must maintain good academic standing at The University of Alabama.