How to Receive Your Benefits Each Semester

All current students (on campus and online) must submit an Advising Worksheet for every semester after the student registers for class. A deadline will be emailed posted at every Fall and Spring semester to turn an Advising Worksheet to the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs.

The Office of Veteran and Military Affairs (VMA) will only accept the VMA Advising Worksheets, not worksheets provided by college academic advisors.

Incomplete Advising Worksheets will not be accepted.

Graduate Students and Distance Learning Students  Advising Worksheet does not require an Advisor’s signature.

Advising Worksheets Guidelines

  • Please complete a form for each individual term.  For example,  SUM I, SUM II and FULL SUM are each separate terms.
  • Please submit an Advising Worksheet after you have registered for your classes to ensure accuracy for your GI Bill® certification. The Office of Veteran and Military Affairs can only certify classes in which students are currently registered.
  • If you add a class not listed on your Advising Worksheet you must fill out an Add/Drop Form.
  • Forms turned in by the deadline will have priority.  Forms turned in after the deadline will be processed only after all priority students have been processed.
  • After the add/drop period classes dropped after these dates will receive a “W” and are subject to debts from the VA if student goes under full time.

VA Payments

Please keep in mind that the VA pays for number of calendar days in school. So payments in August, December, January, and May will not be for a full month. For payment rates please see the VA rate tables. 

The Office of Veteran and Military Affairs does not have access to payment dates from the Veterans Administration for monthly payments, please call the VA Educational Hotline for payment questions 1-888-442-4551.

Academic Requirements:

In order to remain in good standing and receive GI Bill® benefits, students must maintain good academic standing at The University of Alabama.